Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Belated Holiday Wish and ....... Roasted Chicken with Potatoes and Peppers

    First of all, before we talk about this recipe, let me say that I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday time with friends and family.  We were able to visit my family out of state, as we usually do over the Christmas/New Year holiday, and we had a great time, as we always do (even though we were recovering from some sickness).  If it seemed that I was MIA, well...I sort of was. The flu hit our household and so, needless to say, I wasn't the cooking and baking fiend that I usually am around the holidays.  We got through it, although I'm still not feeling 100 percent. Unfortunately, some of the wonderful things I had wanted to share with you all during December didn't make it onto the blog or even onto our table for that matter.  But, sometimes that's just the way it goes.  Now we're into a new year with new resolutions and plans and, I for one, am hoping for and expecting blessings in the coming months.  I know that I have much to be thankful for and want to wish you all many wonderful things in the upcoming year.  Now, on to the recipe.



    To kick off the new year, I thought I'd start with a simple dish that reminds me of home and that I remember my mom making pretty often......a simple pan of roasted chicken with potatoes and peppers.  Now hers was delicious but, as usual, I've changed it a bit.  If my memory serves me correctly, she would make this with chicken, green peppers, potatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper.  There was no recipe written out so I've just determined amounts according to how I make it.  I've used  mini sweet peppers (red, yellow, and orange), along with some added herbs and garlic....so just a little variation on how she used to do it.  I love you mom!


 Mom and I


Roasted Chicken with Potatoes and Peppers  ( serves 4-6 )


3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces
3-4 Russet baking potatoes, peeled and cut into roughly 1" chunks
3/4 pound mini sweet peppers
4 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Italian parsley, chopped, for garnish    


These are delicious!! And so colorful!!  Reminds me of confetti!!



Here are the simple ingredients gathered together.

Place the chicken in a shallow roasting pan (I lined mine with foil to help with clean up) and top with the potatoes, peppers, and garlic.  Season with salt and pepper and then sprinkle the oregano and thyme over the top.  Drizzle the olive oil over everything and lightly toss.  (I know it sounds like a lot of oil, but it really wasn't too much.  You can try and use less if you want.) 





Place the pan in a preheated 450 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender, stirring about halfway.  When it's done, take it out and remove to a serving platter or serve right from the pan.  Garnish with the chopped parsley.  This is a very simple dish, but really delicious!




No comments:

Post a Comment