Thursday, October 18, 2012

Spiced and Iced Pumpkin Cookies


   Well, we're into the middle of October already!  Can you believe it?  The holidays will be here before you know it.  I've pretty much decided that fall is my favorite season.  I love the beautiful colored leaves, the crispness in the air, and the fruits and vegetables that start showing up at farmer's markets and in the grocery store.  My taste buds start wanting  foods that are a little earthier, a little heartier, and  those that have the spicy tastes of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, etc... foods  that hint of the holidays to come.  Apples and pumpkins and pears, Oh my!! ( Did I mention that I love fall? )


    This cookie recipe comes from an old issue of Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookies.  Now I'm usually a crispy on the outside/chewy on the inside kind a' girl when it comes to cookies, but I've made an exception for these little guys.  They are cakey and pumpkiny (not a real word), with just the right amount of spice and a yummy brown sugar icing on top.  Really, each one is like a tiny little cake.....delicious!!  You can sit down and eat 3 at a time without much of a problem....at least that's what I've heard.
     Inside the cookies there are the most delicious little gems.....dried currants!  Now my two youngest sons take issue with these sweet little things.  They take one look and exclaim "Raisins!"  I've tried to set them straight many times because, after all, currants are not raisins!!!!! (sorry, I get a little emotional about food)  "Currants are much, much smaller than raisins" I say....."you won't even know they're in there" I say...
but, alas, the boys usually opt out of the tasting.  That's o.k.  There will just be more for the rest of us.  Actually, the "rest of us" is only the hubby and me.  I better send some into work with him tomorrow!

Spiced and Iced Pumpkin Cookies            ( 3 dozen )

1 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 egg
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup dried currants
Brown Sugar Icing (recipe follows)

    Beat the shortening in mixing bowl on med. to high speed for 30 seconds.  Add the sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and soda, and beat until combined.  Beat in the egg and the pumpkin puree.  Add the flour and beat in.  Stir the currants in with a wooden spoon.  Using a medium-size scoop, drop dough 2" apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Ready for the oven.


    Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until tops are firm.  Transfer cookies to rack to cool. 


So cute!  They're like little soldiers all lined up and waiting for their yummy topping.

Look at all those little jewels!


Spread cooled cookies with Brown Sugar Icing.  Let icing set and then fill up the cookie jar!

Brown Sugar Icing:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tblsp. butter
1 tblsp. milk
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste

    Combine the brown sugar, butter, and milk in a small pan.  Heat and stir until butter melts.  Take off the heat and stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla.  Frost the cookies immediately.  If the icing begins to set, stir in a few drops of hot water.























8 comments:

  1. These cookies look delicious! Wish I had one right now! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne. I think they taste as delicious as they look! If you try the recipe let me know what you think, and please visit me again!

      Delete
  2. I might be making these, I'm craving pumpkin and they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you're craving pumpkin, these should hit the spot. Sure takes less time than making a pie....although, I love pumpkin pie too!

      Delete
  3. This recipe is divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Silvia! And thanks for stopping by. Hope you'll be visiting again!

      Delete
  4. Thank you! Tim has been asking about these forever. He is hooked on your cooking. These are by far, some of the best cookies I have ever tasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're enjoying the recipes! I love these cookies too!

      Delete